Preparation for First Communion
PRACTICE RECEIVING HOLY COMMUNION
This will be done in class with unconsecrated bread. You could practice at home with crackers or bread. Talk about reverence with your child; this is not a race.
Practices for Receiving the Body and Blood of Christ:
1. Communicants are asked to respectfully process to the front of the church with their hands folded in a sign of prayer.
2. As the person in front of them is receiving the Eucharist each communicant should give a slight bow as a form of reverence.
3. The person distributing Communion will say to each person receiving, “The Body of Christ”. Each communicant should clearly respond, “Amen”.
4. When Communion is received in the hand, the following directions apply. If the person receiving is right-handed, the left hand should rest upon the right. The person distributing will lay the Host in the palm of the left hand. The Host is then taken by the right hand to the mouth by the communicant. If the person is left-handed it is reversed.
5. Communicants should not reach out with their fingers to take the Host from the person distributing. The Host must be consumed as soon as it has been received. Gloves should not be worn if receiving in the hand.
6. When a communicant receives the precious blood, the person distributing will say to each person receiving, “The Blood of Christ”. Each communicant again responds, “Amen”. Communicants are not permitted to dip the Host into the chalice.
7. Upon returning to their seats, communicants who have just received the Eucharist should kneel and offer a prayer of thanksgiving to God, especially by singing the Communion hymn.
Holy Communion in both forms will be offered. As is the practice in our Parish it will be a choice. Discuss this with your child and decide if he/she wants to receive both The Body and Precious Blood. You will want to let your child have a taste of wine at home prior to First Holy Communion so the taste is not a surprise. Remember, it is expected that you fast one hour before the reception of Holy Communion.
Prayer Before Holy Communion
Come, O blessed Savior,
and nourish my soul with heavenly Food,
the Food which contains every sweetness and every delight.
Come, Bread of Angels,
and satisfy the hunger of my soul.
Come, glowing Furnace of Charity
and enkindle in my heart the flame of divine love.
Come, Light of the World,
and enlighten the darkness of my mind.
Come, King of Kings,
and make me obedient to your holy will.
Come, loving Savior,
and make me meek and humble.
Come, Friend of the Sick,
and heal the infirmities of my body
and the weakness of my soul.
Come, Good Shepherd, my God and my All,
and take me to yourself.
O most holy Mother, Mary Immaculate,
prepare my heart to receive my Savior.
Prayer After Communion - Prayer of St. Ignatius
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water flowing from the side of Christ, purify me.
Passion of Christ, comfort me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Hide me within Thy wounds.
Never permit me to be separated from Thee.
From the malignant enemy defend me.
At the hour of my death call me,
And cause me to come to Thee,
That with the Saints and the Angels,
I may praise Thee
For everlasting ages.
News and Events
Reading and Reflection The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity May 26, 2013 Reading 1...
Summer Mass Schedule Change Summer Mass Schedule Change Tuesday, June 4 through Thursday, June 6 ...
Weekend Help Needed Weekend Facility Maintenance Assistant St. Michael the Archangel...
Weekend Mass 2nd Collections Catholic Communication Campaign (CCC) - May 12 Holy Father (Peter's Pence)...